So whats Açai? It’s a tiny purple berry of a palm tree that grows throughout the tropical regions of Central America and the Amazon. Originating in Brazil, açai bowls are frozen, blended açai berries topped with granola, an array of fresh cut fruit or any healthy topping. These bowls are adorned by athletes for their superfood qualities and amazing refreshing taste, and are perfect for a post workout pick-me-up. In addition to the addicting taste, açai is also low-glycemic, rich in fatty acids, high in antioxidants, a good source of protein and fiber. Whats not to love?
The two ways I make açai bowls are with açai powder and açai frozen packs. Below I put my favorite recipe for each.
Warning: açai bowls are highly addictive, really pretty looking, and make you want to hug an açai tree.
Here’s the recipe I use with Açai powder:
- ¼ Cup açai powder (I love Navitas Naturals Acai Powder)
- 1 frozen banana, one ripe banana for topping
- 1 tbsp agave, or additional to taste
- 1 tsp water, coconut or almond milk
- toppings of your choice, such as coconut flakes, granola, fresh berries or kiwi
Directions: In a high powered blender or food processor (use an S shaped blade) add agave, water or milk, and the açai powder. Blend together, and add the frozen banana and blend on a medium speed until creamy. Pour out into a bowl and top with some yummy treats of your choice.
Here’s the recipe I use with Sambozan Açai frozen packs:
- 2 Sambozan Açai frozen packs (unsweetened)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup liquid (coconut milk, almond milk or water)
- toppings of your choice, like fresh fruit, or DANG COCONUT CHIPS (my absolute favorite)
Directions: In a high powered blender or food processor (use an S shaped blade) add ingredients and blend until creamy (til you reach a gelato-like consistency). Scoop out into a bowl and top with some goodness like fresh blackberries, granola & shaved coconut.
Eat up, and get addicted.